Project Coordinator: Vacancy Announcement No.2016/05 /039
1. A. The Organization
The “Afghanistan Civil Society Forum-organization” (ACSFo), established at the outset of 2002, and offers representatives of Afghan civil society a platform for exchange of information and opinion on topics relevant to the civil society. ACSFo networks a wide range of civil society and social actors with each other and seeks to facilitate coordination in their work. ACSFo also aims to promote civil society forces in Afghanistan and to involve them in the development, political and peace process of the country.
ACSFo is looking for a dynamic Project Coordinator for an anticipated multiyear project focused on promoting human rights with particular focus on women rights. The objectives of the project aim to contribute to improved respect and protection of fundamental women and human rights to association, expression, right to mental and physical integrity as guaranteed in the constitution of Afghanistan and international declaration of Human Rights.
The project will directly contribute and strengthen the capacities of human rights defenders and civil society organizations. The project aims at improving their visibility and creating space for public discourse and dialogue on human rights. Itwill particularly enhance capacity to respond to human rights violations in the context of Afghanistan. In particular, the project has been designed in response to specific needs of Afghanistan human rights context to address its targeted three result areas. Result one is “enhanced capacities and visibility of women/ human rights defenders and civil society human rights network organizations”; result two “improvement over the baseline on women’s participation in the reform and development process and provision of sustainable legal avenues for addressing women rights” and result three “enhanced awareness on women/human rights and fundamental freedom through broadcast and print media”.
2. The Role
Under the overall steer of the Advocacy Manager of ACSFo and reporting to the Advocacy Manager, the incumbent is responsible for overall leadership, management, implementation, coordination and reporting of the assigned project to ensuer that the project achieves the desired and intended measureable and verifiable results, on time, within budget and in compliance with the donor’s and ACSFo policies and guidelines.
Job title: Project Coordinator
Status: National Hire
Reporting to: Advocacy Manager
Supervising: Relevant Staff ofproject in Kabul and Balkh
Primarily coordinating with: Advocacy Manager, Program Manager, Admin and HR Manager, Finance Manager and Project Manager of Afghanaid
Base of work: Kabul, Afghanistan
Contract duration: 3years
3. Primary Responsibilities
· This project is a partnership among Afghanaid, ACSFo and AEPO. Establish close and collaborative working relationship among relevant management and technical staff of Afghanaid, AEPO and ACSFO in general, and in particular ACSFo staff at Program, Advocacy, Finance, HR, Administration, M&E and other departments and regional offices in target provinces.
· Establish relations and communication channel with ACSFo Field Coordinators in Kabul and Balkh. In consultation with the Project officer and Field Coordinators in provinces, establish, align and coordinate monthly work plans and narrative and financial reports
· Contribute to Afghanaid to create the necessary tools and closely monitor project and project partner performance against the work plans and budgets, logical framework and project proposal on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
· Coordinate and support all project staff recruitment and ensure all personnel are qualified, suitably trained, assigned, motivated and fit for purpose to deliver a high quality project.
· Oversee all project procurement, expenditure and accounting and ensure that it is in line with ACSFo and the donor’s policies and guidelines.
· Prepare timely and quality narrative project reports for ACSFo and the Afghanaid in English.
4. Detailed Responsibilities and Duties
Planning and Implementation
· Maintain close contact and strong relations with the project staff in target provinces and ensures that the project is planned, managed and implemented according to agreements with the donor, agreements with Afghanaid and, the local context and Afghan law.
· Contribute to Afghanaid to develop project operational manual(s)
· Set in place a monthly progress review and planning mechanism for the project team
· Ensure project activities are implemented in the light of signed MoU with Afghanaid
· Provide support to the project staff in target provinces in relation to the strategic outcomes/results of the project.
· Contribute to Finance Department to prepare annual, quarterly and as necessary, monthly budgets and report.
· Ensure actual expenditure against budget,
· Contribute to ACSFo finance department to adopt Afghanaid’s financial policies, accounting standards and reporting practices and ensure coherence in project reporting systems.
· Contribute to Finance Department to ensure the timeliness, accuracy, completeness and quality of all project financial reports and ensure complete transparency in the utilization of financial resources.
Monitoring & Evaluation
· Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation team to put in place a project monitoring plan and preparing monitoring and evaluation reports
· Contribute to M&E team to ensure collection, compilation and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data to measure progress and outcomes of the project
· Regularly monitor of the project in consultation of program department and Field coordinators
· Facilitate internal and external (Afghanaid and donor) monitoring missions to the project and target provinces
· Work with project , Project Officer, Field Coordinators in target provinces to receive quality monthly and quarterly project progress report (both narrative and financial) and consolidate, amend and submit excellent reports to the line manager and Afghanaid
· Prepare quality bi-annual, annual or any other reports as per donor requirements and Afghanaid advice
· Provide technical support to Field coordinators in target provinces regarding reporting
· Effectively manage relationships with the project staff, ACSFo relevant departments and Afghanaid
· Ensure regular and need based communications between ACSFo and Afghanaid
· Guide and support project officer and field coordinators and ensure required technical inputs drawing on support from Afghanaid and ACSFo other departments.
· Contribute to partnership agreements between ACSFo and Afghanaid and facilitate timely liquidation of instalments and release of next instalments by Afghanaid to ACSFo
· Participate in coordination meetings organized by Afghanaid.
· Supervise, support, guide and ensure timely delivery of planned activities undertaken by project officer, field coordinator
· Share all materials with Afghanaid prior to broadcasting/ publishing
· Participate at capacity building programs organized by Afghanaid
· Support field coordinators and project staff in the mapping and identification of the Human Rights defenders and civil society organizations in Kabul and in Balkh
· Develop Memorandum of Understanding for project relevant activities with governmental line ministries and line departments at the provincial level.
Networking, Coordination and Representation
· Represent ACSFO in relevant external meetings with Afghanaid, partners and other stakeholder.
· Induct all stakeholders in the salient elements of the project
· Facilitate donor and Afghanaid visits to the project areas
ACSFo would like to hire an individual with international or prominent national NGO work experience and background. The ideal candidate will have the following education, work experience, skills and qualities:
Education & Professional Qualification
1) Master Bachelor inproject management, international development, communications and/or media, social science or other relevant area or equivalent professional experience.
WorkExperience and Knowledge
a) Minimum 5-7 experience of implementing large projects relating to human rights, women rights and/or governance, advocacy
b) Ability to guarantee effective and timely outputs.
c) Demonstrated proficiency in mass communication and advocacy work
d) Track record in successfully leading project partnerships and a clear understanding of the challenges and measures to promote collaboration and trust
e) Highly developed reporting and budget monitoring and management skills
f) Excellent knowledge of community development and social mobilisation
g) Proven management ability and inter-personal skills – team player
h) Problem solving and leadership skills
i) Proficiency in most common computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
j) Ability to deal with difficult, often frustrating work situations
k) Cultural and gender sensitivity and ability to live and work in diverse multi-cultural environments
Professional Skills, Competencies and Qualities
a) Fluency in written English and demonstrated ability to write and lay out quality documents and reports for diverse audiences
b) Personal integrity, initiative and drive to get the things done and achieve results
c) Strong organizational and coordination skills, able to work with significant levels of autonomy, manage personal priorities and meet tight deadlines
d) An outgoing and engaging personality and strong sense of humour, able to built trust, work collaboratively in teams and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders
e) Excellent conceptual and analytical skills able to distil key ideas with clarity and precision
f) Ability to lead and influence others with diplomacy and tact
g) Flexible and dynamic with the ability to deal with difficult, often ambiguous and challenging situations and creatively solve problems
h) Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
i) Commitment to the vision and mission of ACSFO
Knowledge of exit strategies and sustainability issues
Submission of Applications:
Applications: Qualified candidates are requested to send their application along with copy of updated CV to the attention of the Afghan Civil Society Forum-organization (ACSFo) HR Department (clearly indicate the position title in the subject line) via email email@example.com no later than Saturday 21st , May,2016.
Applicants fail to complete above requirements will be disqualified.
Afghan Civil Society Forum-organization (ACSFo) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrolment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education. For additional information about Afghan Civil Society Forum-organization, please visit www.acsf.af